Cheesy Broccoli and Sausage Soup is one satisfying and delicious meal that is perfect for the cooler months of the year.
Welcome to my first official recipe posted here at Kitchen Simmer. Of course I had to start with a recipe that was definitely simmering away in my kitchen. This weekend my soup pot was put to good use because I made this hearty Cheesy Broccoli and Sausage Soup.
My son always loved my Broccoli Cheese Soup, but being the carnivore that he is, he begged me to put some meat into the soup. So that's just what I did by adding some hot Italian sausage. My son loves Italian Sausage so I knew he would be totally excited to dig into a big steaming bowl.
I could not even get the soup simmering on the stove before he was buzzing around the kitchen. He said he could smell the sausage browning while he was in the living room and it was driving him crazy. Then he saw the carrots and celery that I was chopping to go into the soup and mad a face. I told him not to worry... even the carrots and celery (his dreaded veggies) would taste good in this soup.
When it was all done simmering away, I served him a small bowl of the soup so he could try it out. He was asking for seconds before I could even serve my own bowl of soup. This time he said that I better get a bigger bowl and not to hold back on the carrots. Wow, he even loved the carrots and that makes this soup not only delicious... but a bit of a miracle.
This soup is perfect for the cooler months coming up in my part of the world. I have already had my husband and son put in a request for this soup to be made for dinner at least once a week. I guess adding the sausage really made this soup a big hit at my house.
1lb Hot Italian Sausage (or mild if you prefer)
2 cups thickly sliced carrots
2 cups diced celery
1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
salt and black pepper to taste
2-3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
1 tsp freshly grated garlic
8 cups chicken broth/stock
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
red chili powder or cayenne to taste
8oz grated cheddar cheese or melting cheese like Velveeta
1 cup heavy cream (or milk)
1. On medium high heat, brown sausage well in a heavy based soup pot. Reserve 2 Tbs oil from sausage and drain extra. I only had about 2 Tbs render from my sausage so I did not need to drain any excess oil).
2. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the sausage and saute with a little salt and black pepper. Then add the grated garlic and saute for another minute.
3. Next add the chopped broccoli and saute for a minute. Then add the red chili powder or cayenne to taste.
4. Add the chicken stock and lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender (but not mushy) and the broccoli is cooked.
5. Finally add the cheese and the cream and lower the heat to low and allow everything to melt together for another few minutes. Taste for salt and seasoning and serve hot. Enjoy.
Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Kitchen Simmer formerly known as Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.