A wonderful bite of apple pie in a cupcake... now that's what I call double heaven! Apples, apples and more apples; I just love apple season!
I took some apples sitting in my fruit bowl and decided to make some apple pie filling. Then, I looked in my pantry and saw a box of vanilla cake mix. My next thought was of me biting into a cupcake and getting a mouthful of apple pie... yes, that's how my brain works. It tasted good in my imagination so I had to make it.
These cupcakes are really super easy make since you use the box of cake mix. You don't need a frosting for them and even the glaze that I gave is totally optional. I took a bunch over to my mother and sister's house. I had to share this delicious and easy fall treat and see if they loved it as much as my family and I did. They all loved this dessert.... now I have an excuse to go buy more apples. :)
Apple Pie Cupcakes
Prep Time: 25
Cook Time: 17-20
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 6-7 apples ( about 5 cups diced apples)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice (to taste)
- 1/2 Tbs cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1Tbs water(or more as needed)
1. Peel and core apples. Cut into a small dice.
2. Place apples into saute pan with butter, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cook on medium heat and stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes until apples are cooked, but still maintain their shape. Taste and set aside.
3. Mix cupcake batter by following directions on box package. (My box required 3 eggs, 1 cup water and 1/2 cup vegetable oil).
4. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Fill each cupcake liner with batter, but only less than half way up and leave room for apple pie filling.
5. Top with a heaping tablespoon of apple filling and place in 350 degree oven for 17-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Serve hot out the oven or allow to cool and glaze with powdered sugar glaze. The glaze is optional.
Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Kitchen Simmer formerly known as Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.