The syrup is very simple to make, it only requires some patience with simmering it on the stove. Now don't simmer it on high... it will boil over if you aren't watching it. Yes.. I did make a bit of a mess .... but the mess was worth it when I enjoyed this syrup. Next time I'll simmer on low for a mess free version. Ha! ha!
This fruity maple syrup was perfect with our pancakes and I know they will be great with waffles as well.
Blackberry Syrup Ingredients:
2 pints fresh blackberries
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp water
Wash blackberries and place on stove with water. Boil for 5-8 minutes on high heat until berries burst and mash easily. Mash with a potato masher or emulsifier. Then strain with a fine mesh strainer until all liquid goes through and only pulp is left.
In another pan add the blackberry puree, sugar and maple syrup. Simmer on medium low heat for 20 minutes. Then add the slurry mixture of cornstarch and water. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Allow syrup to cool down to warm before serving.
Serve with pancakes(my buttermilk pancake recipe is below), waffles, ice cream etc...
Ingredients (12-16 pancakes)Dry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter (plus additional for greasing pan)
1. Mix the dry ingredient. Then mix the wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients gently to form a batter without over mixing.
2. Heat griddle or frying pan on medium heat and grease with some butter.
3. Ladle about 1/4 cup up to 1/3 cup onto the pan.
4. When the pancakes starts to make bubbles and brown on the edges, flip over and cook the other side.
5. Serve warm with some additional butter and maple syrup. Enjoy. Makes 12-16 pancakes.
Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.