It's Throwback Thursday so I brought out my yummy Apple Pie to say hello today. I am totally digging apples these days. My fruit bowl is full of apples since they are always on sale at the grocery store this time of year. How could I not show my love of apples without sharing an apple pie recipe?
I actually gave this recipe to my husband while he was out of town visiting his mother and there were declarations of this being one of the best apple pies they ever tasted from my mother-in-law and brother-in-law. I loved all the praise.
Now, I am not a big pie baker, so I took help from the store when it came to the crust. Actually, this pie came together in less than 15 minutes and the hardest part was waiting for it to bake in the oven.
What I love most about this pie is that it's not overly sweet... there is a tartness you get from the granny smith apples and lemon juice that I love. You will also love the wonderful aroma this pie gives your entire house with all the apple and cinnamon goodness wafting about everywhere. Eat it straight up or with a big scoop of ice cream. You will be happy either way.
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 60
- 2 store bought crust (two usually comes in one box)
- 8-10 apples (I used medium sized Granny Smith)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed tight into cup)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (you can go less with or more with the cinnamon depending on your taste)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 Tbs cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
1. Wash and peel apples then core and slice apples into wedges. I used an apple slicer/corer to do this
2. Add lemon juice to apples and toss well. Then add all the other ingredients (except for pie crust) and toss well.
3. Place the bottom of the pie crust into pie plate.
4. Pour all the apple mixture into pie pan. Dot with pieces of butter.
5. Place top crust and pinch edges together or use a pizza cutter to make the lattice strips and create a lattice shape on top. If you use a whole crust remember to put 3-4 slits into pie crust to vent the pie.
6. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 55-60 minutes. Take out and allow pie to rest before slicing. Enjoy.
Powered by Recipage
Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.