In Sri Lanka we call them Kisses, to the rest of the world they are known as Meringues. These sweet little confections of egg white and sugar are amazingly easy to make and cost only pennies. The trick is to have a little patience because they do take 90 minutes to bake in the oven. All your patience is totally rewarded at the end because when you finally get to enjoy them, they are sweet, light and totally delightful.
My daughter and mother were my kitchen companions when I made the Kisses over the weekend. My daughter could not wait to eat them and as the meringue melted in her mouth she exclaimed that they reminded her of Cotton Candy. She also was in charge on picking out the sweet pink color of the meringues, of course they can remain white or any color you decided.
I truly was tickled pink when they little beauties were all done and photographed. I already have ideas of playing around with this recipe so look for some new confections to come your way soon.
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 90
Ingredients (60 kisses)
- 4 large egg whites
- small pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cups white sugar (fine white sugar)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 drops food coloring (optional)
1. Place eggs on counter to get to room temperature
2, Carefully separate egg whites from yolks. Discard if even a drop of yolk gets into egg white mixture and start over.
3. Using an electric mixer add egg whites, cream and tartar and salt and beat until stiff peaks form. ( I beat it on high for 6 minutes)
4. Measure sugar and slowly add one teaspoon at a time to the whipped eggs as you continue to mix eggs. Do not dump all the sugar at once... slowly adding the sugar is a key part of getting the right texture. This step took me almost 5 minutes.
5. Add vanilla and food color and mix until combined.
6. Fill a pastry bag and pipe out dollops of kisses or use two spoons to drop kisses onto a greased parchment paper.
7. Bake in a low 225F degree oven for 90 minutes. Allow kisses to cool down and enjoy.
8. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Powered by Recipage
Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.