Sri Lankan Mulligatawny Soup
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2-3 large chicken breast (skin off, with bone)
- 10 cups of water
- 1 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 medium onion (rough chop)
- 2 stalks celery cut into large pieces
- 1 carrot cut into large pieces
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp coriander seeds (roasted)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (roasted)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (roasted)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (roasted)
- 2 tsp white rice (roasted)
- 1/2 Tbs black pepper seeds
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 tsp fresh garlic grated
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 medium onion (red preferable) finely diced
- 1 cup carrots finely diced
- 1 can (10oz) diced tomato with chilies (I used Rotel)
- 8 cups prepared chicken stock with shredded chicken
- red chili powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds pounded or fennel powder
- 2 tsp lime juice or to taste
- salt to taste
- lime wedges
1. The day before, make the soup stock by placing all stock ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Then lower heat down to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Strain stock and discard all ingredients accept chicken.
3. Shredded chicken off the bone and place back into the strained stock (discard bones).
4. Allow stock to cool to room temperature and place in fridge overnight so any fat will float to the top of stock and congeal.
5. The next day before making soup, scrape the fat out of the soup and discard. Set stock aside until needed.Mulligatawny:
1. In a dry pan lightly roast on medium-low heat the rice, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds until fragrant. Careful not to burn spices. If the spices burn, redo this step.
2. Take the roasted seeds and add black peppercorns. Then either pound in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder until powdered finely. Set aside.
3. In a large soup pot, add 2 Tbs of canola oil. On medium heat saute the onions, celery and carrots with a little salt until they start to get tender. Then add ginger and garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
4. Next add the roasted spices and saute for a minute with the aromatics. Then add the can of diced tomato and green chili.
5. Season with with turmeric and chili powder. Finally add the prepared chicken stock with the shredded chicken. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
6. To finish soup, pound or use powdered fennel and stir into coconut milk. Strain this fennel and coconut milk mixture into soup and stir well.
7. Turn stove off and add lime juice. Stir well and taste for salt and seasoning. Serve hot over rice if you like.
Powered by Recipage
Copyright: All recipes, content, and images (unless otherwise stated) are the sole property of Curry and Comfort. Please do not use without prior written consent. Unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited.